Monday 27 February 2012

Sharing the love

You'll probably remember that I made a game for my girlfriend on Valentines Day. By my own admission it wasn't the finest game ever made, but it was written in 4 hours and after all, it's the thought that counts.



Since I love you as well I'm giving the game to you, source and all. It's built using XCode and runs on every iOS device I've managed to get my hands on.

You'll need to get hold of a couple of 3rd party libraries to compile it though:
  • cocos2d-x
    • The really quite lovely open source C++ game library coordinated by the superbly named Walzer Wang
  • Signals
    • A splendid little library to help decoupling of classes by the conventionally named Patrick Hogan.
This source is provided under the MIT License, and I don't really mind what you do with it.

I've packaged it all up for you HERE

Drop the unzipped "cocos2x" and "Signals" folders in the "nickylovescat/libs/" folder.



It doesn't do much, but it does a few things well. Since it's based on an evolving version of my game framework it handles the resolution differences between iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4 and iPad quite well. Or well enough for me at least. Take a look at the UI_POINT and GAME_POINT macros in PlatformDefines.h for a peek behind the scenes.

I render everything based on a virtual 320x480 screen, and add a extra few pixels border on iPad to handle the different aspect ratio. Scaled up source assets take advantage of the extra pixels on iPhone 4 and iPads. This game isn't the best example of high res assets though.

I hope you like my little present, it was built with a lot of love.

N x

No comments:

Post a Comment